Historical Sites


General Supply

Old National Bank

Currently a General Supply store, this building was once Sabinal's National Bank. It functioned as a bank from 1903 to 1960. The bank was robbed by two men on November 7, 1956. After 1960, it became a retail auto parts store. As of May 2001, the building has become a pharmacy, gift shop, and a popular fountain-deli (a great place to stop).

 

 

Weight Station

Weight Station Sign Weight Station

There is considerable controversy concerning this unique building. It has been known both as the "Wait" Station and the "Weight" Station. It has occupied several locations in Sabinal, making it ineligible to recieve an historical plaque.

It was built in 1905 by Louis Peters and was originally located just South of the Sabinal National Bank Building (the present location of Sabinal General Supply). It is thought that its original use was as a "Wait" or waiting room for the train.

Joe Johnson owned the building during the 1920's but what he used it for is not known. Later, the building was moved to Hondo Street behind the Sabinal National Bank.

At some point in time it was used as a buthcher shop by Ross Kennedy, Sr. and his son. It has also been occupied, at various times, by three or four doctors.

In the 1930's Bill Whisenant was elected public weigher and bought the building for use as a "Weight" Station and Public Scale. He hired his daughter, Latheal, as clerk for .50 cents per transaction.

Today the Sabinal Civic Club maintains the building as a reminder of their past. The are given a glimpse of that past when meat markets were separate from grocery stores and a doctor's office could be housed in an approximately 12'x 12' room.

 

Sabinal Methodist Church

Methodist Church

This church began in 1876 as part of the Sabinal Circuit assigned to the Rev. Henry T. Hill. Circuit ministers served the fellowship until 1900, when it became an organized congregation. Services were held in the Christian and Baptist Church buildings until the present structure was completed in 1907. For a time, pastors at Sabinal Methodist Church also served new rural congregations in Frio and Knippa. As the membership grew and church programs expanded to meet the needs of the community, additions were made to the church facility.

 

 

 

Home